Saturday, October 17, 2009

Go Huskers!!!

Well it is probably high time that i do a blog about the Nebraska Cornhuskers. The Huskers are the College football team for UNL (University of Nebraska Lincoln)


When i first moved here in July 2003 i knew of the Huskers and had even watched a game with Shiloh (before we were married) the previous fall when i was here visiting. I had no idea how crazy Nebraskans (and my husband) were about Husker football.

One of the first signs of this craziness were the flags and outdoor home decor that many have on display here (especially the "Husker yard rock" which is a Lincoln favorite!). The next sign of the crazyiness is that people all over talk about Husker football as if it is the be all and end all of the world. When Shiloh and i were first married, i dreaded game day as my husband became a different person...stressed out about where he was going to watch the game, how they were going to do and then the outcome of the game directly affected his mood for the rest of the day. On game day in Lincoln, the entire city is geared up, wearing red and if you go anywhere, in any store, they are playing the game over the speakers (even the grocery store!) Forget trying to drive anywhere downtown the entire day they are playing...crazy. Somehow the Huskers are even meantioned at church on Sunday morning during the sermon.

Don't get me wrong, i do like football...I went to UWO (University of Western Ontario) football games with my Dad all the time and wore purple and cheered, the whole nine yards. I do have to say that College Football in the States is unlike anything i've ever experienced. Click here for an article by an ESPN Sports radio blogger that visited our state in September and his experience with Husker fans. Makes me feel proud to be a Husker fan!

Over the years, the Huskers have grown on me. I finally made it to a game back in 2005 (i think) and it was pretty stinkin' awesome!! The energy in the stadium with 85,000 other fans was unbelieveable and nothing like i've experienced anywhere else:

So i have come to enjoy watching the Huskers myself and look forward to Husker parties, where i can talk with my friends about life AND watch football at the same time. It is 2:30pm and about time for the Huskers to kick off against Texas Tech this afternoon. And i'm here, wearing my Husker shirt (Zeke is too) and i've come to terms with how my husband turns into a crazy football, "where am i going to wacth the game" loving maniac....and know that at the end of the day, he'll be back, ready to talk about real life again and maybe even watch a chick flick with me....maybe

No comments:

zeke video